A few months ago Wexford GAA put out a call to clubs and schools around the county inviting them to come together in a formal, structured way to focus on delivering, regular, fun and effective hurling coaching in the schools. This would be a volunteer lead initiative, involving coaches from the clubs going into the schools a number of times each week, working closely with the teachers.
Backing this up was a grant to purchase equipment, hurls, sliotars, helmets etc for the schools, funding made possible through the generosity of the Hickey family.
The success of this approach has been seen in the resurgence in Clare and the strength of hurling in Kilkenny – both of whom operate systems like this. The potential of ‘Hurling 365’ is massive and has the power to be truly transformational.
More about ‘Hurling 365’
- The Club School Link aims to develop coaching partnerships between Primary schools and the clubs in their area
- These coaching partnerships are aimed at increasing the level, frequency and quality of coaching in hurling to Primary school children
- How does it work? Each Primary school or schools develop a coaching partnership with their local club that develops the delivery of addtional hurling coaching before, during or directly after school, which involves a school teacher and club coaches.
- Once this partnership is developed, the school /club makes an application to Hurling 365.
- If the application meets the criteria, a maximum sum of €500 is made available to purchase gear and equipment.
- The school / club agrees to implement the guidelines and all our other criteria, including Review and Evaluation.
The Club School Partnership is an addtional coaching resource. Current coaching actions delivered by Wexford GAA coaches and our CE GAA Promotional Programme will continue to be delivered.
By developing the school / club partnership, schools and clubs will maintain and further develop their relationships, leading to young hurlers developing their core skills on school activity andcclub activity.
Hurling 365 is underpinned by support from the County Coaching and Games Development Committee, staff and volunteers.