Footballers lose by minimum

Report from


Leinster Senior Football Championship Quarter-Final

Kildare 0-9 Wexford 0-8

By Cian O’Connell at Croke Park

Despite a spirited Wexford rally Kildare survived to secure a Leinster semi-final spot following a tight encounter at Croke Park.

Though Kildare were on top initially Wexford responded to draw level in the closing stages, but the Lilywhites stayed cool.

With Alan Smith and Neil Flynn sharp inside Kildare departed at the break armed with a deserved 0-7 to 0-3 advantage.

Cian O’Neill’s team set-up with Eoin Doyle acting as a sweeper ensuring Wexford struggled to convert enough of the first half chances they created.

Wexford only registered three points from 10 attempts, at the opposite end Kildare’s figures were slightly better hitting seven out from 15.

Smith and Flynn struck five opening period scores between them with the Lilywhites showing glimpses of their potential.

John Tubritt nailed a fine point for Wexford in the first minute, but Kildare reeled off four without reply including splendid efforts from Morgan O’Flaherty and Ollie Lyons.

Underdogs Wexford remained spirited, but they still trailed by four at the break with Kildare slicker up front.

After the restart Wexford improved significantly with Donal Shanley (two frees), Shane Roche, and Kevin O’Grady rifling over points to restore parity.

Kildare substitute Eamonn Callaghan ended a 20 minute Kildare search for a second period score, while another replacement Cian O’Donoghue edged the Lilywhites two clear.

Shanley converted a pressure free to narrow the gap again with six minutes remaining, but Ciaran Lyng was unable to level with an injury time free from an acute angle.

Neil Flynn was subsequently black carded for Kildare, who held out to record a narrow win.

Scorers for Kildare: N Flynn 0-3 (2fs), A Smith 0-2, O Lyons 0-1, M O’Flaherty 0-1, E Callaghan 0-1, C O’Donoghue 0-1.

Scorers for Wexford: D Shanley 0-4 (4fs), J Tubritt 0-1, K O’Grady 0-1, C Kehoe 0-1, S Roche 0-1.

Kildare: M Donnellan; P Kelly, D Hyland, O Lyons; E Doyle, F Conway, E Bolton; K Feely, T Moolick; R Houlihan, E O’Flaherty, P Cribbin; M O’Flaherty, A Smith, N Flynn.

Subs: A Tyrell for Cribbin (47 mins), C O’Donoghue for Bolton (50 mins), E Callaghan for Smith (54 mins), P O’Neill for E O’Flaherty (59 mins), F Dowling for Feely (61 mins), K Murnaghan for M O’Flaherty (70 mins).

Wexford: A Masterson; S Donohoe, J Wadding, J Rossiter; E Nolan, M Furlong, B Malone; C Kehoe, D Waters; K O’Grady, PJ Banville, B Brosnan; D Shanley, C Lyng, J Tubritt.

Subs: K Butler for Furlong (31 mins), S Roche for Tubritt (36 mins), A Flynn for Banville (47 mins), R Tierney for Kehoe (57 mins), S Byrne for Malone (64 mins).

Referee: R Hickey (Clare).