Liam Dunne

Wexford overcome 60 years of history in Semple Stadium.

Report from  Reporter Declan Rooney


All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship Round 2 Qualifier

WEXFORD 0-23 CORK 1-17

By Declan Rooney at Semple Stadium, Thurles

Late points from Lee Chin and Liam Og McGovern ensured Wexford’s progression to Round 3 of the hurling qualifiers and to a memorable win over Cork at Semple Stadium.

The last win for Wexford over the Rebels in the championship came back in the All-Ireland final of 1956, but when Daniel Kearney goaled for Cork with eight minutes remaining it seemed as if all Wexford’s positive play would be in vain as Cork retook the lead.

But Chin and McGovern kicked on with great scores and added to a 13-point haul from Conor McDonald to take the win. Wexford were good value for their 0-12 to 0-9 lead at half-time, but it was a lead that didn’t look likely after a bright start from Cork.

In fairness to Wexford they got off to a dent start too, but in the first 15 minutes Cork hit six good points from play from six different players as they led by 0-6 to 0-5. Goalkeeper Mark Fanning gave Wexford the lead in the first minute with a long range free, but three of the next four points came from Cork, through Patrick Horgan, Alan Cadagon and Bill Cooper.

Two points from McDonald gave Wexford the lead again, before Seamus Harnedy, Luke O’Farrell and Willian Egan all found their range. But Wexford went on to keep Cork scoreless for the next 21 minutes, a period of time that they hit seven points of their own to take control as they carried a 0-12 to 0-6 lead.

But Cork finished the half with a burst of scores, as Conor Lehane hit two, while Horgan’s free meant there was just three in it at the break.

After the restart Horgan showed his prowess from placed balls and his fire soon cut the gap to two points. But Wexford responded with two of their own – the first from corner-back Eoin Moore from long range – to open out a four-point lead again.

Horgan was on the mark for Cork once more in the 42nd minute, but two scores in a row from McDonald and Chin soon settled Wexford again.

But Cork came with a strong surge and they hit 1-4 in the space of 13 minutes to take an unlikely lead as Wexford began to hit wides at the other end.

A mistake form Paudie Foley allowed Kearney in for the goal, but crucially Chin responded at the other end with a great point within a few seconds. And that score proved crucial as Dunne’s side pulled clear in the end to seal their progression.

Scorers: Wexford: C McDonald 0-13 (10f), L chin 0-4, L Og McGovern 0-2, J O’Connor 0-1, P Morris 0-1, E Moore 0-1 (1f), M Fanning 0-1 (1f).

Scorers for Cork: P Horgan 0-7 (6f), C Lehan 0-3, L O’Farrell 0-3, D Kearney 1-0, B Cooper 0-1, W Egan 0-1, S Harnedy 0-1, A Cadagon 0-1.

Wexford: M Fanning; E Moore, M O’Hanlon, J Breen; D O’Keeffe, P Foley, E Martin; J O’Connor, E Conroy; L Óg McGovern, L Chin, P Doran; P Morris, C McDonald, D Dunne. Subs: H Kehoe for Doran (35), A Kenny for Martin (43), S Donohoe for O’Connor (63), C Dunbar for Moore (66), A Nolan for Morris (73).

Cork: A Nash; C O’Sullivan, D Cahalane, S McDonnell; A Walsh C Joyce, M Ellis; B Cooper, W Egan; L O’Farrell, S Harnedy, J Cronin, A Cadagon P Horgan, C Lehane. Subs: D Kearney for Cronin (31), B Lawton for Cooper (55), S Kingston for Harnedy (60), C Murphy for Joyce (63), M Coleman for McDonnell (68).

Referee: Barry Kelly (Westmeath).

Liam Dunne