Wexford Win their 1st bord na mona walsh cup final in 16 years after a Heart stopping 90 mins of play and then a Historic 3-2 Free taking shootout.
Despite Wexford’s first point not arriving until the 13th minute from corner-back Eoin Moore and trailing by eight points on three different occasions in the first half, Wexford again kept their cool and soon found their momentum in the 2nd half where the 3, 500 strong supporting crowd were treated to an absorbing Walsh Cup final encounter for the remaining 55 minutes of the game.
After Kevin Foley somehow finding the net in a goal mouth scramble and points from Paul Morris and Lee Chin we thought this game couldn’t get any more exciting and then Extra-time was required. Two more Morris points saw Wexford lead 1-23 to 1-22 at half-time in extra-time and by full time of extra time They were deadlocked on 1-24 each which sent the game into a free-taking competition – a hurling first – in which Fanning converted the winning point in the most dramatic of circumstances. A little taste of things to come between these two sides in the coming season
Scorers for Wexford: Paul Morris 0-9 (7f), Jack Guiney 0-5 (3f), Harry Kehoe 0-3, Kevin Foley 1-0, Davaid Dunne 0-1, Cathal Dunbar 0-1, Eoin Moore 0-1, Mark Fanning 0-1 (1f), Lee Chin 0-1, Jack O’Connor 0-1, Conor McDonald 0-1
- Mark Fanning (Glynn-Barntown),2. Simon Donohoe (Shelmaliers),3. Liam Ryan (Rapparees), . 6.Shaun Murphy (Oulart-The Ballagh), 9. Kevin Foley (Raparees), 4. Eoin Moore (Oulart-The Ballagh) 5. Aaron Maddock (St Martin’s), 7. Eanna Martin (Carrickshock), 8. Joe O’Connor (St Martin’s) 10. Aidan Nolan (Halfway House Bunclody), 14. Jack Guiney (Rathnure), 11. Cathal Dunbar (Ballyraggett), 12. Harry Kehoe (Cloughbawn), 13. Paul Morris (Ferns St Aidan’s), 15. David Dunne (Davidstown-Courtnacuddy)
SUBS: 20. Matthew O’Hanlon (St James) for Martin (27 blood),
- Jack O’Connor (St Martin’s) for Dunbar (HT),
- Dominic Rock (Oylgate Glenbrien) for Joe O’Connor (HT),
- Lee Chin (Faythe Harriers) for Guiney (60),
- Conor McDonald (Naomh Eanna) for Kehoe (67)
- Jake Firman (St Martin’s) for Nolan (67)
- Paudie Foley (Crossbeg Ballymun) for Dunne (67)
- Diarmuid O’Keeffe (St Anne’s) for Maddock (76)
- Aidan Nolan for Jack O’Connor (86)
- Jack Guiney for Liam Ryan (93)