A look back on a Historic Win for Wexford U21 Footballers

Wexford 1-09 – Longford 0-11

Repost of match report from 6th April, 2011.

The 6th April 2011 will go down in history as one of the greatest nights for Football in Wexford. The U21 boys took the Seamus Flood Cup back to the south east for the first time ever when they overcame a resilient Longford team in the Cadbury U21 Leinster Final.

The game played under lights in O’Moore Park, Portlaoise was very entertaining with both sides showing great skill and determination. It was Longford to got off to a good start with an early point which was followed shortly by the leveller from Paudie Kelly. The Wexford boys then got a boost with an opportunist goal from Killian Kehoe, son of the manager Kevin, to leave the sides at 1-01 to 0-1. Wexford were in great form at this stage but it was the Longford men who got the next two scores before Kevin O’Grady hit over to leave the sides at 1-02 to 0-3. Both Conor Carty and Michael O’Regan, who had a fantastic evening, got their names on the score sheet before half time with the scoreboard registering Wexford 1-05 and 0-5 for Longford. The sides were evenly matched going in at the break with Wexford missing more opportunities than their opponents.

The second half commenced with the flood lights now on and Wexford having a wind advantage. St.Martins Paudie Kelly opened the scoring for this half but Longford quickly replied before Paudie Kelly added another. At this stage Wexford had a 1-7 to 0-7 lead but Longford came back into the game and had a golden fifteen minutes. They really took control scoring four points to level the sides which would leave the Wexford followers a little worried. With nine minutes remaining and the sides level Michael O’Regan pointed from a long range free which gave the Wexford supporters something to cheer. This was followed by a point from St.James man Kevin O’Grady, which gave Wexford the victory on a 1-09 to 0-11 score line.

Martin Skelly, Cathaoirleach Comhairle Laighean at the time congratulated both teams on a great night’s football and asked Sheamus Howlin, former Cathaoirleach to present the Cup to the winning captain James Breen while Michael O’Regan received the Cadbury Man of the Match Award.
Wexford: Richard Farrell (Castletown), James Breen, Capt. (Adamstown), Seán Gaule (St. Anne’s), Michael Furlong (Adamstown), Derek Butler (Geraldine O’Hanrahan’s), John Leacy (Glynn-Barntown),Conor Carty 0-1 (Castletown), Matthew O’Hanlon (St. James’), Michael O’Regan 0-2 (1f) (Glynn-Barntown), Liam Óg McGovern (St. Anne’s), Emmet Kent 0-1 (Clongeen), Paudie Kelly 0-3 (St. Martin’s), Kevin O’Grady 0-2 (1f) (St. James’), Killian Kehoe 1-0(Gusserane O’Rahilly’s), Brendan Halpin (Castletown). Subs used: Declan Murphy (Horeswood) for Brendan Halpin, Tiernan Rossiter (St. Mary’s Rosslare) for Killian Kehoe. Also: Myles Roche (Ballyhogue), Barry O’Gorman (Taghmon-Camross), James Boggan (St. Martin’s), Christy Lane (St. Mary’s Maudlintown, Aidan Jones (Kilanerin), Darragh Cullen (Naomh Éanna). Extended Panel: Alan Nolan (Taghmon-Camross), Darragh McDonald (Naomh Éanna), Martin Atkinson (HWH Bunclody), Liam Donnelly (Shelmaliers), Graham Carty (St. Mary’s Maudlintown), Anton Stafford (Clongeen), Colm Kehoe (Cloughbawn), Shane Bradley (Adamstown), Brian Berney (St. Martin’s), Michael Bowler (Duffry Rovers) and Andrew Shore (Davidstown-Courtnacuddy).

Mentors: Kevin Kehoe (Bainisteoir), Syl Doyle, Jack Kavanagh, Mick Walsh, Brendan Kehoe (Trainer), Goalkeeper Coach: Gavin Morris, Physio: Sandra Doyle.