Thursday, 28 April 2022, marks the 100th anniversary of the birth of the legendary Nickey Rackard. To mark the occasion, we’ve produced a special tribute video, available to view on all Wexford GAA social media channels. It features footage and photos of Nickey, and contributions from five leading Wexford GAA figures:
- Liam Griffin, manager of Wexford’s 1996 All-Ireland team, who talks about growing up watching Nickey in action for the famous Wexford teams of the 1950s.
- Tony Doran, who led the Wexford full forward line for many years, and who talks about playing under Nickey as a selector for the 1968 All-Ireland victory.
- John Conran, All-Star hurler 1987 and representing Nickey’s home club of Rathnure, who talks about how Nickey’s legend lives on in Rathnure and across Wexford to this day.
- Tony Dempsey, who was Chairperson of CLG Loch Garman at the time of Nickey’s passing. He recalls the profound sense of grief of the time, and also discusses the great man’s ongoing legacy in the form of the Rackard League competition for Primary Schools.
- Dominic Williams, GAA historian, who discusses Nickey’s remarkable record and statistics.
All five contributors were in conversation with Ed Rowsome and Peter Mernagh of Wexford GAA TV. Videography and editing is by Conor Stafford, while production logistics were handled by Aoife Parle. Great credit is due to them all.
We also acknowledge the support of Wexford County Council in the making of the video.