Club School Link
Club/School Link’ promotes and supports the coming together of our clubs and schools to provide weekly coaching and support in the means of supporting our games prosper in the local community. Wexford GAA are grateful for the fantastic support our schools show for Gaelic Games.
Steps to Establishing Club-School Links
1. Ensure that the Club has a dedicated School Liaison Officer (SLO). The SLO should be selected after considering availability to visit the school during school hours and communication skills. (If there is a club member teaching in the school he/she should not be asked to be SLO)
2. The SLO and Club Chairperson could arrange to meet the principal and teacher with responsibility for sport/games.
3. Agree points of contact for club and school.
4. Outline the club’s work at underage as well as the Go Games Programme, which promotes participation for all children.
5. Establish what support the school requires in terms of:
a) Equipment and gear
c) Coaching assistance in the school setting
d) Support for Cumann na mBunscol activities
e) Assistance with organising Go Games Blitzes
f) Support for after school activities e.g. homework clubs
g) Information about coaching courses
h) Club membership for staff
6. Formalise arrangements regarding mutual use of each others facilities.
7. Establish (and keep up to date) a GAA notice-board in the school with information on Club Blitzes, Ú Can (Skill) Awards, GAA Cúl Camps, Cumann na mBunscol activities etc.
8. Provide a calendar of club events e.g. registration days, Go Games Blitzes etc. and keep up to date with school events.
9. Liaise with the County Games Manager and the school to keep up to date with school initiatives including the GAA Céim ar Aghaidh Education Resource, GAA Fun Do Coaching Pack, and the Schools Coaching programme.
10. Circulate a club newsletter to the school children to encourage them to become involved in the club.
11. Host schools Go-Games blitzes at the club pitch and hold a follow up event on a Saturday or Sunday morning.
12. Build on the new partnership; both the club and school could link together on new projects and schemes that will encourage children to play and stay with the GAA.
Wexford GAA has programs that support Club School Links such as :
- GAA Club School Link Program (Focused on all Gaelic Games)
- Hurling 365 Club School Link (Focused on Hurling)