Below are reports for this years Allianz Cumann na mBunscoil finals which were played Monday 16th and Wednesday 18th April .

Classy Curracloe endure a second half fightback to seal Girls’ title.

Curracloe 3-8 Horeswood 2-2

Curracloe claimed the Allianz Cumann na mBunscoil MiniSevens Girls’ football title in Bellefield on Monday last, despite a spirited second half comeback by a hard-working Horeswood team.

Curracloe started the game much better than their opponents and were quick to use the strong breeze to their advantage and put important scores on the scoreboard. Outstanding Curracloe midfielder Sarah Harding Kenny scored 1-2 in the opening minutes as it took some time for Horeswood to settle into the game. This was not helped by the brilliant defending of Curracloe’s Mikaela Lanigan who made it very hard for them to create chances to score. Another goal and a well taken point from a 45 brought Sarah Harding Kenny’s total up to 2-3 and just before halftime her midfield partner Siobhan Doolan also scored three excellent points to build up a strong halftime lead of 2-6 to 0-0.

Horeswood were not to be beaten easily though and came out for the second half a very different team. Grainne Ryan was very unlucky not to score a point and a goal when she saw her early attempts go just wide. Soon after, Jennifer Cummins made a great run and set up Chloe Banville for a goal and then Grainne Ryan followed this up with a pointed free. It was now the turn of Horewood’s Kate Chapman and Faye Prendergast to give the crowd a display of great defending and for a long time Curracloe found it difficult to score again until Curracloe defender Ailis Neville made a fantastic block to deny Chloe Banville another scoring opportunity and this seemed to inspire the Curracloe girls who went up the field to score two quick Siobhan Doolan points.

Horeswood rallied yet again and were unlucky not to get another goal when Grainne Ryan rattled the crossbar and watched the ball go over, but their second goal came soon after when Chloe Power passed to Chloe Banville for a cool finish into the bottom left corner the game was set up for a close finish. Curracloe were not to be beaten however and composed themselves to finish strongly with another Sarah Harding Kenny goal to seal a well deserved win.

After the match Rackard League Co. Secretary Jim Dempsey presented the cup to Curracloe Captain Siobhan Doolan who thanked teachers, parents and team coach James Murphy for all their help and support during the year.
















Piercestown girls have too much firepower for Rathnure


Piercestown 4-3 Rathnure 0-5


An excellent team performance saw Piercestown girls claim the Allianz Cumann na mBunscoil MiniSevens Camogie title in Bellefield on Wednesday against reigning champions Rathnure. The large support who gathered to watch these two fierce rivals battle it out were treated to a match full of skill and fantastic scores with both teams giving their all until the final whistle.

Rathnure were first to get off the mark with a well-taken score from Aoife Guiney. Piercestown then began to make full use of both the breeze and huge puck outs from their goalkeeper Niamh Dunne when they got their first score of the match through Lettie Whelan. In the fifth minute Lettie also got the first goal of the match, scoring with a very skilful handpass from a tight angle after the ball broke through the Rathnure defence. Rebecca Hamilton’s brave defending and clearance then set up another Piercestown point scored by Clodagh Walsh. For the rest of the half the ball flew up and down the pitch and scores were hard to come by with great defending by Ciara O’Conner, Rebecca Hamilton (Piercestown) and Rhys Hogan, Leah Butler and Ashlynn O’ Leary (Rathnure). Aoife Guiney got her second point of the day after a long solo and then just before halftime, Rathnure goalkeeper Lara Conran made an important save to keep her team within one goal of the lead.

Piercestown came out after the break and really upped their game and quickly extended their lead through another point from Lettie Whelan. Rathnure were unlucky not have their first goal when a Nora Higgins free was saved and tapped over the bar Niamh Dunne. Skilful Piercestown defender Ciara O’Connor responded with a fantastic catch and long delivery to Lettie Whelan who scored her second goal of the day to put Piercestown in control but still Rathnure were not giving up and Nora Higgins replied quickly with a point for her team.

All the luck seemed to be on the Piercestown side from here on in though and a third Lettie Whelan goal from long range seemed to seal the title for the South Wexford girls. Fittingly the last score of the match was to be a driving score into the wind by Nora Higgins after a great catch, showing that these Rathnure girls never give up but on this occasion the firepower of Lettie Whelan had proved to be too much for Rathnure on the day.

Rackard League Co. Treasurer presented the cup to winning captain Rebecca Hamilton and highlighted the long traditions of both clubs in the girls’ competition and commended both teams on an excellent match.














Piercestown boys seal the double


Piercestown 1-7 Gorey CBS 0-6


The Allianz Cumann na mBunscoil MiniSevens finals were finished in style in Bellefield on Wednesday last with Piercestown and Gorey CBS treating supporters to a tense final that was very close right up until the end. The low scoring nature of the final was a credit to the hooking, blocking and tackling from both teams as they gave their all to claim the title.

Piercestown free taker Ben Stafford got the first score of the game with a well-taken long range free into the wind. Gorey were denied a wonderful goal when Conor Stafford saved brilliantly from a Seán Delaney shot and tapped it over the bar. Ben Stafford replied with a great score from play, an excellent effort out on the left sideline. This lead was then extended with a point from a Philip Dempsey 65.

Evan O’Dwyer pointed a Gorey CBS free to bring the difference back to a point and for the remaining half Gorey defended gallantly to keep themselves in the game as Piercestown put them under severe pressure. Ben Stafford scored a free from a tight angle to keep the halt-time score close at 0-4 to 0-2.

The second half began with a similar pattern of play to the first. Ben Stafford scoring another point from a free and then Gorey midfielder Sean Delaney scoring his second point from play. When Gorey levelled the scores in the fourth minute through another Evan O’Dwyer free, the game was set up for a thrilling finale.

The key moment of the game arrived when Sean Delaney made a huge solo run from midfield and seemed certain to score a goal only to be blocked heroically by Philip Dempsey when only yards from goal. Piercestown then won a free and cleared from defence only to win another free high up the pitch and it was from here that Ben Stafford scored the games decisive goal, a wonderful dipping effort that creeped in right under the crossbar. With four minutes remaining, Gorey had plenty of time to get back in the game but again they were to be foiled by the great work rate of the Piercestown backs and midfield. Ben Stafford put the cap on a wonderful performance with a huge point from just under the stand in the ninth minute and when Dickie Murphy blew the final whistle it sealed a great day at the office for the Piercestown boys and girls teams. Piercestown Captain Philip Dempsey accepted the cup from Rackard League Co. Treasurer John Brennan who congratulated both teams on an enjoyable final that was fought to the very end and commiserated with Gorey who earlier in the week had won the Allianz Cumann na mBunscoil MiniSevens football title.














Gorey goals prove key to success


Gorey CBS 5-3 Rathangan 3-4


They say that goals win games and this was certainly the case when Gorey CBS powered to another Allianz Cumann na mBunscoil MiniSevens football title in Bellefield on Monday last. Both teams served up a feast of scores and the skill levels of all players on show here were a credit to both the boys themselves and their coaches and mentors.

It was Gorey who made the better start with a fisted point from Seán Delaney. They then scored two Eddie O Brien Murphy goals in quick succession, the best of which was a clever flick into the net using his fist. Eddie was unlucky to get a very similar goal moments later when Dylan Kavanagh read his mind to make a brilliant save.

Rathangan began to work themselves into the game and were unfortunate not to get a goal of their own when Barry Roche couldn’t quite reach a Dylan O’Brien low delivery across the Gorey goalmouth. Kyle Kennedy also had an attempt at goal with a rasping ground shot from long range, but this was saved by the assured Gorey goalkeeper Ryan Gibney. Eventually scores came their way through a Dylan O’Brien free, an excellent Kyle Kennedy solo and point and well taken score from Adam Moore leaving the scores at 2-1 to 0-3 at half-time.

Rathangan however were to be undone in the second half by two Seán Delaney goals that helped Gorey to build up an unassailable lead. The first goal was a fortunate effort from a sideline kick that hung high into to the air and somehow drifted into the goal just over the Rathangan goaline defence. His second goal was a brilliant bottom corner finish that left the goalkeeper with no chance. Rathangan suffered further bad luck in front of goal at the other end of the pitch, when first Adam Moore couldn’t find the net after some great Rathangan build up play and then when Dylan O’Brien made a superb catch and rattled the crossbar. Kyle Kennedy also saw his shot go just wide of the Gorey post. Gorey meanwhile scored further points through two Calleum Travers frees and a Michael Dunne point from play.

Rathangan rallied bravely in the end for one final push and were rewarded with an excellent catch and well taken goal from Kyle Kennedy followed by an Adam Moore fisted goal but at this stage the Gorey lead was just too much and when referee John Diskin blew the final whistle it brought to a conclusion an epic match that had a bit of everything. The cup was presented to Gorey captain Dillion Dixon who made a special effort to thank the parents who had supported the team throughout the year.